It is time to schedule your Maternity session but you are trying to decide between an outdoor maternity session, an in-home lifestyle session, a studio session or a boho bedroom session? All types of sessions have a completely different look and have different advantages. Read more below to help you decide which maternity photoshoot location you prefer and what style is a better fit.
Outdoor Maternity Session
These are perfect for those wanting a more natural look with seasonal foliage in the background. The 1st location is a beautiful year round park in Marietta. It offers several backdrops for different looks and is very private so you don’t have to worry about too many park walkers getting in the way of your photos. The 2nd session was taken at a wedding venue in Cedartown that offers a great waterfall view. They require an appt and rental fee but it is worth it to have the option of a creek, ruins, bridge and giant waterfall in your background plus seasonal foliage/ flowers. The 3rd session below was taken at Piedmont Park in Atlanta on a perfect Spring day when the dogwood trees just bloomed. However, Piedmont park requires a lot of walking but there are some pretty scenic spots like the open grassy fields, wooded fields, stone steps, small dock on the water, Atlanta Skyline view, walking trail and more. There are several outdoor location options depending on the look you prefer- farm lands, open park, urban area, waterfalls, woods and more. I personally offer 20+ outdoor location options to choose from so there is something to fit everyone’s style. Some locations are free of charge while others might incur a travel fee or venue rental fee that usually ranges from $40-$99.
- Large open area to move around and capture different looks
- Seasonal foliage to accent the images
- Natural environment if you are incorporating a younger sibling who wants to run around and be on the move
- More of a candid natural feel to the images
- More space for posing, walking, interacting
- Can fit larger groups if you have lots of siblings to incorporate
- Lots of location options to choose from
- Weather can be hit or miss, and you will not know until the last minute, so your session might have to be rescheduled. This can be stressful if you are getting close to your due date.
- Most likely outdoor sessions end up being too chilly or too hot- it is rare to have a perfect day.
- Depending on the season, mosquitoes or gnats can be bothersome
- Sunny days can cause squinty eyes
- Can be lots of walking or hiking to get to the different photo spots
- Parking can be an issue on perfect days when everyone is at the park
- Delayed shooting due to having to wait for park traffic to move out of the way or waiting for another photographer to finish shooting their clients in the space the photographer wants to use.
- Bathrooms or changing rooms most likely not available
- Due to the angle of the sun, sessions can only be scheduled with in 2 hrs of sunset or sunrise for the best natural/ flattering lighting.
Studio Maternity Session
Studio session are perfect for those who are looking for more of an artistic, intimate, high-end fine art professional look. For instance, you can be more intimate and feel more comfortable showing skin and focusing on your bump. In addition, Fine Art studio sessions make great canvases for your walls. These sessions are also more convenient when it comes to having less stress of worrying about the weather, photographing in a comfortable temperature, needing a restroom or changing room close by and being in a private setting. Below are examples of a Studio Maternity session to give you an idea of the stylized look.
- You never have to worry about the weather or rescheduling
- Perfect temperature so you are not too chilly or too hot for your session
- Convenient bathroom and changing rooms available
- Ability to do some creative lighting for a different look (Side lighting, high key lighting and silhouettes)
- More of an artistic / fine art stylized look plus intimate posing and lifestyle posing
- Controlled lighting for flawless and consistent images
- Less busy backdrops so the solid colors might coordinate in your home easier
- No parking issues or worrying about people walking around and ruining your shot
- No large amounts of walking required
- Sessions can be scheduled at any point of the day since you are not working with the sun.
- Client closet provided for pre-pregnancy sizes 2-12 (20+ gowns, 4 robes, Black bodysuit and 5 flying fabrics available)
- Creamy Boho bed lifestyle option or Boho chair sitting area as well for a few lifestyle images. This way you get that natural lifestyle look plus fine art studio look.
- More simplistic background options unlike an outdoor location would have. Focus is more on the subject as opposed to the background scenery.
- Most studio backdrops that private photographers have can only accommodate 4-6 people tops which should be fine unless you have a larger family.
Boho Studio Session (Canton, GA)
If you are looking for a stylized, lifestyle session that has a bohemian vibe then this venue will not disappoint. This is perfect for those that want that intimate bedroom setting but do not have their home stylized to match their vision. This venue in Canton has the perfect bedroom set. It is located in Canton and the entire loft area is staged for a portrait session. There is a rental fee that will be added to your session as they charge $80 per 35 min of use and an appointment is required. They change up the look seasonally to match a Winter/Valentine’s day look, Summer or Fall boho vibes or decorated for Christmas.
Boho Bedroom Pros:
- Perfect boho intimate setting designed and stylized for your photoshoot
- Bathroom and changing room available
- In-doors in a comfortable temperature setting
- Private loft upstairs to ourselves
Boho Bedroom Cons:
- Added venue fee of $80 per 35 min of photography time
- Location is in Downtown Canton so that could be a bit of a drive depending on where you are coming from.
- Nov and Dec, it will be decorated for Christmas.
- If you are incorporating younger siblings, time constraint might be an issue to get everything you want during the rental time, if they are being uncooperative.
- Rental might not be available during your preferred date and time so we might have to adjust it a little.
- Does not have a ton of natural window light so we need to shoot around 11am-12pm for best lighting.
Ready to book your Maternity Photoshoot?
Click below and head over to the Book Now tab to view my calendar and schedule your Maternity session online. I am usually booked 1-2 months out (2-3 months for weekend dates) so you definitely want to plan in advance.
Need help on finding a nice Maternity Dress?, Read my other blog on some reputable places that offer good, quality maternity dresses at different price points.
Please see more with the summary list Best places for maternity photoshoot near me best